Monday 25 February 2019

Can I install the free Windows 7/8 -> 10 upgrade on a new empty drive?


With the new Windows 10 coming out soon as a free upgrade, I'd like to know if and how I can install the upgrade on a new HDD. I assume the files needed for Windows 10 are only for upgrading an installed copy of Windows 7 or 8 and not a standalone installer to use on an empty hard drive. Or is this assumption wrong?


I have some issues booting (an older non-working version appears in the list of OS's to choose from) and I'd like to replace my current SSD, which is too small, with a new larger capacity one, while keeping my other drives intact. The old SSD will then be removed.


If more information is needed, please let me know.



Answer




With the new Windows 10 coming out soon as a free upgrade, I'd like to know if and how I can install the upgrade on a new HDD. I assume the files needed for Windows 10 are only for upgrading an installed copy of Windows 7 or 8 and not a standalone installer to use on an empty disc. Or is this assumption wrong?



You will be able to do this provided on the machine the new HDD will be installed in, upgrade an existing installation of either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, from there you can perform a clean installation if you want.


Microsoft has released installation media for Windows 10 (Version 1507) and Windows 10 (Version 1511), once you have accepted the free upgrade, you will be able to install Windows 10 from that installation media straight to a new HDD if you want.


I strongly advise you to solve your existing problem before you accept the upgrade.


Source Material



Can I perform a clean install using the Free upgrade?


No, it will require that you are running a previous qualifying version and start the upgrade from within the qualifying version. You can initiate a clean install after completing the Upgrade.


Please be aware that you cannot use the free upgrade offer to perform a clean install on first attempt. You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do it through Windows Update or using the .ISO file). Ensure the upgrade is completed successfully and then ensure that it is activated.


You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media or using the Reset function in Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started).


I have multiple computers, do I have to download Windows 10 on each computer?


You can download a .ISO file and upgrade each computer offline. The ISO should be available by the time Windows 10 launches.**



Source


Download Windows 10



Version 1511


As of Windows 10 Version 1511 (Build 10586) released on November 9, 2015 you can now use previous eligible versions of Windows to install and activate Windows 10. You are still limited by the July 29th 2016 for the purposes of activation. Once Windows 10 is activated on a system it no longer requires a license key when installed, and will automatically activate, through digital entitlement. Retail copies however, of Windows 10, still require a license key at installation time.


Windows 10 Tech Bench


enter image description here


Windows 10 ISO Downloads


Additional Reading



  1. How to: upgrade from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 ISO file

  2. Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

  3. Where can I download Windows 7 (legally from Microsoft)?


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...