Saturday 23 February 2019

editing the host name in Linux

I needed to install some libraries (like libSM.i686) on my machine to be able to work with ANSYS Workbench (which is a fluid dynamic simulation software) and I encountered a problem in using the command yum install, like: "Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository":


This system is receiving updates from RHN Classic or RHN Satellite.


http://linux.dropbox.com/fedora/6Workstation/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22 - "The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found"
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: Dropbox. Please verify its path and try again

so I searched and realized that I have to change the hostname (from the customer portal of ansys); I tried to change this file /etc/sysconfig/network ; I did so once by changing the file /etc/sysconfig/network in gedit and then saving it.


Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem, so now I need to go back to the previous host name (which was in the form fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) in the format hostname.domainname). But now, surprisingly it doesn't allow me to do it any more. So I tried the command for editing the host name cd /etc/sysconfig; vi network but don't know how I should save the change I made in host name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...