Monday 25 February 2019

windows - Core i5 Processor running too fast?


I have an Intel core i5-4670 on a z87-plus motherboard from asus on Windows 8.1.


I am experiencing random blue screens, often after startup. What worries me is that my Intel core seems to be running at 4000 MHz: CPU-Z. It is supposed to have 3.4 GHz and I can't remember to have changed any settings.


Should I believe the numbers and what should I do?


EDIT: Apparently the AI suite was messing with my UEFI settings. I have uninstalled most of the AI suite and have reset to default in the UEFI. In these default settings, the Intel turbo is at 3900 iirc. According to CPU-Z, the cores are now running at 3600 to 3800. Still a little much for browsing only??



Answer



It looks like a combination of Asus Autotuning plus Intel Turbo Boost.


Turbo boost will cause three of your cores to sleep, but boost the clock speed of the remaining core. In some cases, this is more power efficient than having multiple cores running.


The i5-4670K gets 4 boost "steps" in 1 core mode. With a 3.4MHz at normal:


3.4 + (100MHz * 4) = 3.8GHz


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...