Monday 25 February 2019

When I reboot going from Linux to Windows, the USB keyboard and mouse don't work


When I'm on Linux and I reboot the machine and choose to boot on Windows 7, the keyboard and mouse are turned off, like they aren't receiving power. After another reboot they work fine (unplugging and plugging doesn't work, reboot is the only way), but it's pretty annoying and it's also not good for the machine.


The reboot can be done once Windows started, but I have to use the machine's reset button, ctrl alt delete obviously doesn't work. It can, however, be done with ctrl alt delete during the BIOS phase.


This doesn't happen when going from Windows to Windows, or Windows to Linux.


What can be causing this? What can I do to fix it?



Answer



TL;DR:


Try installing USB drivers appropriate for your motherboard.


Long version:


I had a very similar problem. For me, any time I booted into Linux, my USB devices wouldn't work in Windows. For me, rebooting did not fix usb. Maybe this will help you.


I was using the generic Windows 7 drivers for USB, and I found a similar question on a different site: https://askubuntu.com/questions/410596/no-usb-devices-picked-up-on-restart-to-windows-7-from-ubuntu


For me, going to my motherboard manufacturer's website and installing the USB 3 drivers worked. So, perhaps you could fix the problem by going to your motherboard/laptop manufacturer's site and installing some USB drivers specific to your computer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...