Thursday 28 February 2019

windows 7 - Triple boot problem: XP x Seven x Ubuntu


This was my HD setup one week ago:



sda1: EXT4 => / (Ubuntu root)
sda2: NTFS => Windows XP C:
sda5: EXT4 => /home
sda6: SWAP
sda7: NTFS => All my files like music videos etc
sda4: Blank



All was nice and shiny. Then I updated my XP to Seven.
Good! Almost working 100%, but my webcam didn't managed to work as it did on XP.
So I thought: "time to install XP in that last partition!"
And so I did.



sda2: NTFS => Windows 7 C:
sda4: NTFS => Windows XP G:



Of course I know XP would wipe out my GRUB.
And here starts my war.


I tried 2 times to restore my GRUB by the way I know (liveCD > chroot > grub-install), but they didn't work. So I read at Ubuntu-wiki about, instead of using grub-install, type grub and do things manually... Something like root (hd0) and setup (hd0,0).
And so grub came up. Fine, then.
I made my menu.lst like this:



[ubuntus]
hd(0,1) Windows 7
hd(0,3) Windows XP



By some reason when I tried to open the second entrie it started WXP. And if I tried the third, it gives me an erros about something like "NTDLR missing".


So I thought "if the best way to do this from the scratch is XP > 7 > Ubuntu, so lets fix XP boot, then 7, then GRUB.


Went to the XP Setup CD Command-line, did fixboot and fixmbr.
It booted to the XP just fine.
Went to the Seven Rescue options, but it didn't recognized XP when I asked to rebuild the bootloader. There was a text like this "if it didn't work, you can try again". And so I tried. Restarted.
There was an strange Seven bootloader giving me the options:



  • Ubuntu 9.04 (wtf is ubuntu doing here at Windows bootloader?!)

  • Windows 7

  • Windows XP


Final results:



  • Windows 7 booting

  • Windows XP throwing me the same NTDLR error

  • Ubuntu saying something about an strange bootloader from 2005 that was starting my partition. But I think that, if it really worked, wouldn't do it with my EXT4 partition.


Any ideas about how to get my GRUB with those 3 options (or anything like that)?


[UPDATE]
After much trouble between using Ubuntu Live CD, SuperGrub CD, Windowses CDs and trying to use EasyBCD, I ended up 2 days after that with a Grub with options for Ubuntuses and "Windows Menu", that loads EasyBCD menu. Better than nothing...
But my ubuntu is not loading correctly.
It says Boot from (hd0,0) ext4 <>
After some time it loads the Ubuntu graphic loader.. All normal until now. It's bar keeps bouncing, and after some time it throws this on a black screen:



Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
* Check rootdelay=
* Check root=
- Missing modules
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/<> does not exist. Dropping to a shell!



And then it opens busybox...
I tried to create a file with that uuid on the right place (/dev/disk/by-uuid from my sda1) just like the other were: symlinks. After that I tried booting ubuntu again... Same problem; and I couldn't find the new uuid there, inside busybox.
o.O


Whats happening now? =(



Answer



Yes, as nobody answered my updated question, I'll close it here.
I ended the triple boot problem by having EasyBCD as Windows Menu and GRUB as the first menu, that lemme choose between ubuntuses and Windows Menu.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...