Wednesday 20 February 2019

windows 10 - Antimalware and Onedrive services uses up a lot of CPU time


Ever since upgrading to Windows 10 1903 the other day, my CPUs have all been pegged at 100%. "Antimalware Service Executable" is using 60%, and "Microsoft OneDrive (32 bit)" is using 35% (with the other 5% being spread amongst everything else running). After running like this for a day or so my computer case (Surface Tablet) is smoking hot.


How can I find out what's causing this problem? Is there logging I can review for those services? Known issues with 1903 that I just can't find on Google?



Answer



Reinstalling my 3rd party (ESET) Antivirus got that Windows Defender/antimalware service back under control. Must have been some kind of conflict there.


For OneDrive, "%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset" immediately dropped the high CPU usage from my OneDrive service. It did cause a full resync though, so ran a long time and used a lot of bandwidth. For me it maintained my list of folders to sync, but I've read elsewhere that it may not.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...