Saturday 16 March 2019

windows - Laptop unable to boot up after changing boot order in BIOS

I wanted to install Ubuntu on my laptop alongside Windows 10. I didn't really know much about Ubuntu's installation so I went to research about it. One of the websites told me to use a program called Rufus to make my USB bootable so I could install Ubuntu. It also told me to change the boot order; I set the boot priority to USB first, saved settings and exited BIOS, and my laptop won't boot anymore. The display doesn't light up, the disk activity indicator only lights up for ~500 ms, and that's it. It doesn't do ANYTHING, let alone even try going into BIOS again.


I tried to reset the CMOS battery (as the Internet suggested), but I couldn't find it anywhere on the motherboard (yes I disassembled my laptop).


As I was typing this I'm using an a lot older laptop (Asus K53SC) with Ubuntu properly installed (and erased Windows 7 completely).


So far I'm loving Ubuntu, it's snappy, compared to Windows (and I'm surprised it's still fast considering this laptop is like few years old).


TL;DR



  1. Wanted to install Ubuntu on newer laptop; messed it up by changing boot order, now it won't boot at all.

  2. Am using Ubuntu now on an older laptop (installed by USB) and wiped everything clean beforehand.

  3. Tried resetting CMOS battery but couldn't be found.

  4. No way I can go back to using this older laptop because all of my stuffs are in my newer laptop.

  5. Loving Ubuntu now though.


Thank you for any help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...