Friday 22 March 2019

windows 7 - Moving Temp folder location


My C drive is a small SSD that I don't want to wear out or fill with unnecessary stuff. Is there any harm in moving the temp folder to another drive? I am under the impression that Windows will not need to look for files here, for example, in the case of uninstalls...


Is this the case?



Answer



In my experience, most programs will expect files in %TMP% or %TEMP% to be removed, unless they're locked, so I would say 99.9% No, unless you have an extremely badly designed program that writes permanent files to the temporary folder. See, that's why it's called the 'temporary' folder. You store temporary files in the temporary folder, and permanent (aka uninstall, program) files in other locations.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...