Thursday 28 March 2019

windows 8.1 - Is it possible to enable System Protection from the command prompt?


I just tried to install some updates for my laptop, and now it is stuck in an automatic repair loop. From what I've been able to find so far in the logs, I believe it is some problem with the registry.


The system restore tells me that there are multiple restore points available, including one it created just before attempting to install the updates. However, it tells me that I can't restore my C: drive because "You must enable system protection on this drive".


Is there a way that I can enable system protection on my drive through the command prompt? Failing that, is there a way to restore just the registry (either manually or automatically)? I've been able to open up regedit, though I have no clue what part of the registry is corrupted.


Update:


Here's the only relevant thing the SrtTrail.txt log has to say about the issue:


Root cause fount:
---------------------------
Registry is corrupt.

Repair action: System Restore
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x1f
Time taken = 588875 ms

Repair action: Registry roll back
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x3
Time taken = 0 ms

Update 2:


I booted using the legacy boot and managed to surface a new error:


Realtek PCle FE Family Controller Series v1.27 (10/31/11)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

Looks like this is a red herring. This just means that I can't boot from the network.



Answer



Looking at a an article for Windows 7 about the same issue, I found a suggestion to use the following command:



Rstrui.exe /offline:C:\windows=active



Rstrui.exe opens up the system restore window. I'm not sure what the argument means, but it made it so I could actually use the restore points! Yay!


Unfortunately, this did not completely fix my problem - the system restore failed. The error message implied that it had something to do with the registry. So, using the command prompt I went into C:\Windows\System32\config and renamed two of the registry files:


ren SYSTEM system.001
ren SOFTWARE software.001

After doing this, I ran the system restore again (using the same argument as I did the first time) and it worked! I was able to log back into my computer!


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...