Friday 29 March 2019

hibernate - Delete hiberfil.sys on Windows 7


Ok, so I know what hiberfil.sys is, and I want to use hibernation on my laptop.


But I have another hard drive active in my laptop, it's taken from my old one... and I want to get rid of the hiberfil.sys on that drive. But even with admin privileges I can't delete it.


Any ideas?



Answer



I wanted to do this in the easiest way possible, especially without rebooting.


Open a command prompt as administrator and go to the disk where hiberfil.sys resides. In my case:


C:\Windows\System32\> e:

In e:, check for hidden files:


E:\> dir /A:H

In the listing hiberfil.sys should show up. If so, delete it:


E:\> del /AS hiberfil.sys

I have to warn you: I don't know what happens if you do this with an active hiberfil.sys file. In my case it was on an old hard disk drive and was no longer needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...