Friday 1 March 2019

windows 8 - 3TB HDD showing 512 logical sector size when connected via SATA



I have a Seagate Expansion 3TB external hard drive with data on it, and I wanted to get at the drive inside the enclosure and make it an internal drive. I'm using Windows 8, so the drive was being seen as having 4k sectors. When I connect via SATA, however, Windows reads the logical sector size as 512 bytes instead of 4096. In disk management it shows a protective GPT partition. When I put the HDD back into the enclosure, it shows it as having 4K sectors, and it reads all my data.


Why is this happening, and how can I get the drive to work when it's connected via SATA?



Answer



It turned out that this was handled by the controller in the enclosure, so I had to format the drive before I could use it elsewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...