Saturday 16 March 2019

cooling - Folding@Home client on a laptop: Is it safe for long periods?


I'm running Folding@Home SMP version on a new Thinkpad X220 laptop since I can't use it for daily development but find it useful to run a MySQL VM. Since its just sitting there I've been running Folding@Home for the past 4 days (mostly) straight.


However I'm starting to get nervous. I recently needed to recharge the battery but now the fan has kicked in. Getting worried, I installed lm_sensors in Fedora Linux and checked to see where I'm at (I added the degrees in celcius for those of you in other parts of the world)


acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +197.6 F (crit = +210.2°F) - +92.0°C (crit = +99.0°C)

thinkpad-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
fan1: 4627 RPM

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +199.4°F (high = +186.8°F, crit = +212.0°F) - +92.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0002
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 1: +195.8°F (high = +186.8°F, crit = +212.0°F) - +91.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Yikes, those tempratures don't seem like something I should be running the laptop all the time, but I'm not sure.


Do I risk damaging the laptop with tempratures that high (both with and without the battery)? Can I run Folding@Home for long periods?



Answer



These temperatures are too high. My laptop runs Folding@home and the temperature doesn't get much higher than 75°C in the hottest conditions, and typically not above 70 °C, but that's still high (if I am not mistaken, my laptop has a temperature limit of 90°C).


Your system was running at 92°C, just 7°C below the 99°C limit, and the fan was running very fast (4627 RPM). This is clearly too hot and probably cannot be sustained for long-term operation. A cooling pad may help, but it may not drop temperatures satisfactorily. If you are doing SMP work units, try falling back to uniprocessor units and see if the temperatures become more reasonable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...