Wednesday 13 March 2019

windows xp - How to fix a PC that won't boot after a virus/malware scan?

My Dad's PC will not boot up!


He has a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine and was running a manual scan with either Super AntiSpyware or MBAM (he does not remember which). Anyway, it found some 'stuff' and did a quarantine & immediate removal, then went into reboot.


When it got past the login screen, he said the screen did a blink and that was all! I had him try to login in safe mode -- same thing!


Since I am trying to help him via long distance, I told him to take it to Geek Squad, who at first said 'they have this problem all the time and it wouldn't be a problem to fix'. Yeah right!


They told him they couldn't find the problem, it wasn't the hard drive. They copied all his 'data' to a portable drive (which they charged him for, of course), and just gave him back the machine. Total charge $130.00.


So if they could get to the drive, I guess it is not that causing the problem?


I have some utility programs but am not sure if they will help:



Hirens boot CD


UBCD4WIN


Ubuntu live



I am just not sure if these will do anything cause I don't know what to look for, excluding hardware problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...