Sunday 17 March 2019

security - How to migrate my old PGP key to a more secure algorithm?


I have an old PGP using old GnuPG algorithm defaults. According to Best encryption and signing algorithm for GnuPG: RSA/RSA or DSA/Elgamal?, those algorithm settings are no longer sufficient, so I want to move my PGP key to more secure algorithm settings. What is the best way to do that? Do I have to revoke my key and create an entirely new key?



Answer



There is no way to "upgrade" an OpenPGP key. You will have to create a new one, and you will lose your reputation in the web of trust.


Some people I met decided to stick with a RSA 1024 primary key, but use stronger subkeys instead (which is easily possible without losing your reputation in the web of trust), which comes with secure day-to-day use (for encryption/signing documents with your subkeys), but might enable attackers to add and revoke certifications, subkeys and UIDs.


Think about:



  • Signing your new key with the old one, so others could follow the signatures

  • Sending a key transition statement (seems down, alternative link on archive.org) to those that signed your old key; some of them might also sign your new one

  • Getting your new key signed, i.e. go to key signing parties

  • Revoking the old one after some time

  • Using a seemingly unnecessary large key as primary key and smaller subkeys for day-to-day usage. You will never need the primary key for anything but signing other keys (which is rare) and others verifying your signatures (which is cheap anyway).


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...