Friday 1 March 2019

Error installing Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) on a 512GB SSD in my 2010 MacBook

The Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) installer fails to extract any files onto my drive:



OS X could not be installed on your computer


An error occurred while extracting files from the package "Essentials.pkg".


Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.



However, I have reinstalled Mac OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks) just fine, which leads me to believe there’s something wonky going on with the installer.


Judging by the comments on this other question, it seems like this error might be occurring with people who have installed SSDs in their old MacBooks. I have a mid-2010 MacBook with a 512GB SSD in the main hard drive slot and a secondary 250GB HDD in the DVD drive bay. I also have installed 16GB of RAM in this laptop. So far all of the new hardware has worked fine for the past 6 months so I doubt my issues are due to faulty hardware. I am trying to perform the install on a freshly formatted partition.


Here is the install log.


Here’s another install log from when I was trying to upgrade the OS instead of using a freshly formatted partition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...