Sunday 22 December 2019

macos - Mac OS X full-disk encryption, with Time Machine


I want to encrypt at least my home partition on my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.5. I know both File Vault and TrueCrypt would do this, but I also want to keep on using Time Machine to back up my files. This article seems to indicate that using File Vault means that Time Machine won't back up my files while I am signed in:



It will begin backing up all files to the connected disk except for those users who have FileVault turned on and are currently logged in: they will have their files backed up when they log out.



That's no good. While I hope never to need my Time Machine backup, I do require that my files are backed up regularly, and am not willing to log off during the day to ensure this happens.


What are my options?



Answer



The answer now, of course, is to upgrade to OS X Lion and use FileVault 2. This handles full-disk encryption and works with Time Machine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...