Monday 23 December 2019

troubleshooting - What to do when machine fails a Prime95 stress test?


In an effort to diagnose the cause of random resets and freezes I have been running a series of stress tests on my two year old computer. Thus far the machine has passed nine hours of the Prime95 Small FFT test, thirty minutes of the standard burn-in FurMark GPU stress test and thirteen hours (eleven passes) of MemTest86+. The random resets and freezing have been experienced under clean installs of both Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8 Pro. According to SpeedFan all case, GPU and CPU temperatures report within normal ranges.


Nevertheless, my computer fails both the Prime95 In-place large FFTs and the Blend stress tests. Sometimes the machine resets immediately. While other times it will run up to ten minutes. Regardless, it fails and either resets or freezes when running these tests.


These are my machine's specs:





I have never overclocked the machine. The BIOS is set to the default configuration which results in Auto being set for most options.


This is the machine's BIOS configuration (screenshots):



BIOS



  • BIOS Version: U1d (this is a UEFI BIOS though the issue was experienced under the original BIOS)


CPU



  • CPU Clock Ratio: 33

  • CPU Frequency: 3.30GHz

  • Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage


Memory



  • Extreme Memory Profiler: disabled

  • System Memory Profiler: 16.00

  • Memory Frequency: 1600MHz

  • Performance Enhacne: Turbo

  • Voltage: 1.5V

  • Profile VTT Voltage: 1.05V

  • Timing: 9-9-9-28 Newegg lists timing as 9-9-9-24 fails the same regardless of setting


Voltage Settings



  • CPU Vcore: 1.85V

  • PCH Core: 1.050V

  • PCH Core: 1.050V

  • CPU PLL: 1.800V

  • System Agent Voltage: 0.920V

  • DRAM Voltage: 1.500V

  • DRAM Voltage Reference: 0.750V

  • DRAM Termination: 0.750V

  • Data Reference (CH A): 0.750V

  • Address Reference (CH A): 0.750V

  • Data Reference (CH B): 0.750V

  • Address Reference (CH B): 0.750V



While the failure has given me hope that I have begun to isolate the issue I am still unclear as to what to test from here. Given recent reviews of the motherboard I am wondering if I just have a bad board and need to replace it. Could the processor actually be bad? Are there further tests I should run? What's my next step when my computer fails a Prime95 large FFT stress test?



Answer



Ultimately, the issue was bad memory. I finally determined that I was dealing with faulty memory by placing the DIMMs in a different motherboard and running the Prime95 In-place large FFTs and the Blend stress tests which resulted in the same system faults.


When I provided this information to G.SKILL they honored their warranty and sent me new modules.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...