Sunday 22 December 2019

windows - How to parse a directory recursively and MKLINK each file into a target path with the same tree structure

I have a directory a\ containing files and sub-directories that I want to copy into path b\ where instead of copying the files I want to perform a call to MKLINK on each file into the new path rather than performing an actual copy.


So if I have a directory:


Z:\a\file1.txt
Z:\a\file2.txt
Z:\a\some_path\file3.txt
Z:\a\some_path\file4.txt

And I copy links from path a\ to b\ the result will look like:


Z:\b\file1.txt           <<===>> z:\a\file1.txt
Z:\b\file2.txt <<===>> z:\a\file2.txt
Z:\b\some_path\file3.txt <<===>> z:\a\some_path\file3.txt
Z:\b\some_path\file4.txt <<===>> z:\a\some_path\file4.txt

The directory hierarchy is to be preserved as non-link folders in the event that the target directory does not have a matching folder structure. Note that only the files are links.


A successful test will succeed where Z:\b is an empty directory, Z:\b contains a folder Z:\b\some_path, and either previous tests but Z:\b my already contain files of the same name; conflicts are ignored and no link is created for them.


How can I do this using a batch file with no additional dependencies beyond what is available in a standard Windows 10 installation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...