Tuesday 31 December 2019

backup - Overwrite your Windows folder with a backed up copy


Currently attempting to restore a backup. I'm left wondering whether HP intends for me to just overwrite my whole C: drive with the contents from the backup. Overwriting the Users folder, Application Data and Program Files won't be a problem. What I don't know is what to do with my Windows folder. That prolly contains all my Windows Updates, drivers and stuff necessary for the apps in my Program Files to work. I don't know the details and instinct tells me that this is stupid but I'd like to know the implications of doing so anyway.



Answer



Just retrieve the files from your documents folder - leave everything else alone. You will have to re-run the updates and re-install applications.


Just replacing those folders with the backup wouldn't getting you up and running again... it would break the install.


The OS files are protected anyway, you would have to boot into a Windows PE disc of some sort or a life Linux disc...


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...