Friday 27 December 2019

laptop - Working hard drive, but "Operating System Not Found". How to make visible to BIOS?

I've recently been handed a 6 year old laptop (HP Pavilion ZD7000) that I want to repurpose for a family member to use. It was boxed and unused when it was given to me.


However, upon boot, after the BIOS screen it is showing a black screen with a cursor, with the words "Operating System Not Found" occasionally flickering up.




  • I've run the XP installation disk and all appears to install successfully; but, upon boot, same problem -- operating system not found. Despite the fact that if I boot up from a Linux LiveCD I can mount the Windows partition and see that all of the Windows OS files are on there.




  • I've tried Linux and GRUB. I can format the whole drive, install Linux to disk, but still only get "Operating System Not Found" at boot. No GRUB, no nothing. But if I mount the drive from a LiveCD, all the OS files are visible.




So the hard drive itself seems fine. It's entirely accessible and I can read/write on it once booted from a CD. I can only guess that there's some hardware problem stopping the hard drive being visible to the BIOS, or maybe a problem with the BIOS itself? It appears that it's just not visible to the BIOS.



That's as far as my hardware/BIOS knowledge goes. Can anyone suggest what I might need to do to the hardware or to the BIOS in order to get it to see the drive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...