Sunday 29 December 2019

memory - Windows 10, 'System' process taking massive amounts of RAM


Since I upgraded to Windows 10, my system has been consuming RAM excessively


enter image description here


I've been reading a bit and determined it's likely a driver leaking memory. So I got myself the Windows Driver Kit and tracked memory usage with poolmon:


enter image description here


However, I don't really know how to proceed from here. Is the item tagged "smNp" the culprit in this issue? How do I go from there to actually identifying the driver?


I tried some stuff like "C:\Windows\System32\drivers>findstr /s smnp ." but it returned no results. I also took a look at the pooltag.txt file and this is the description I found for it:


enter image description here


So yeah, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.



Answer



By going into services.msc (via Win+R) and disabling Superfetch completely solves this. I am not sure if Superfetch is just broken as of now or it's "by design".


In addition, apparently getting rid of the paging file will have the same effect but the above solution is a safer bet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...