Tuesday 31 December 2019

windows 7 - Can I "hibernate" a program?


Yes, I know that hibernate usually applies to a computer. (Hibernate her meaning saving program memory in disk and being able to restore it in a consistent manner.)


However, hibernating a program can be very useful. Suppose I want to play a game, but a few programs like firefox, acrobat take up 500M of memory, so I want to free it up. Closing and then starting can be time-consuming, especially if session data cannot be stored. So instead I go and hibernate them. So is there any way I can hibernate a program?



Answer



There's a related question about this over at StackOverflow. It's more programming related, but the main accepted answer explains why what you're trying to do is hard, and offers a viable alternative.


Basically, run your 'business' apps in a VM, and pause/hibernate/close it when you want to game.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...