Friday 27 December 2019

windows 8.1 - Opera error “Can’t open user profile directory, because you lack sufficient privileges.” after Power Loss

I am getting this message when I try to open Opera:



Opera
Can't open user profile directory, because you lack sufficient privileges. You might want to contact the administrator of this machine.
OK





  • I am the Admin on my PC and current User name is also on Admin group.




  • Had 1st power failure few days ago while active on PC, & after restart Opera worked fine.




  • Then did the recent Opera security update and/ or update to latest Opera and this time the PC was idle and opera had bunch of tabs open, when the 2nd power failure happened.




Solution pathways: ??




  • Is there a within Opera fix for this? OR Does it have to be a Windows level fix?




  • Would downloading a full Setup of latest Opera and installing on top (maybe as Admin) work to fix this issue?




  • Should I do something like a "Take Ownership" on certain folders/ folder tree via Windows Explorer or similar?




Please let me know how to ENSURE I get access to this without losing my profile info. Thanks.




Additional info:


Since, this showed up I figured I should do a typical system check that I do using Image-Health which includes DISM & SFC command via an easy to run Menu system.


DISM ran fine, but SFC stopped at 23% and created at report (most of its lots of Hex/ Binary style info that doesnt share any file/ folder names of issue).


Now, for those saying SFC is not significant, let me repeat - All said checks, that I've used many times have worked fine before.


So, I believe this Opera & SFC both facing permissions issues is kind of connected.


The only other addition was installation of Windows 8.1 Security Rollup before these 2 power failures.


SFC - System File Checker stuck at 23 24% - Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation




Permissions Screenshots combined: PS: At first this was concerning, but then the Read Only attrib is there on the AppData folders of all Applications, so I figure that may be the norm?


enter image description here

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...