Thursday 23 January 2020

windows xp - File locked / read-only


On a networked computer, I have a file which is coming up as read-only because someone else has it open. This is not true. This is a file stored locally on the computer and it is not being used by anyone else.


I can login to the same computer using a different user, and the file opens up fine. I just get the issue with a particular user account.


Other than deleting that account/profile and creating it again, how can I unlock this file?


Double clicking on this file gives me a message saying



The file is locked for editing by another user, or the file (or the folder in which it is located,) is marked as read-only, or you specified that you wanted to open this file read-only.



I don't think the folder is locked, because I can use other files in that folder fine, it's just 1 particular file which is causing this issue. I know that only 1 user is using this file as the file is on his c: and the same file works fine if he logs off to allow another user to log in.



Answer



You need to run a utility that tells you what is locking the file. Try running the utility here:


http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/opened_files_view.html


It should tell you what has locked the file. Kill that application (if it is possible) to get the file back. There are plenty of alternatives if that application isn't quite right for some reason.


If this fails to say, generally rebooting the PC and trying to access the file straight away will normally work.


If even this fails, it is likely that the disk itself has a problem. In that case, I recommend the use of Spinrite though I'm afraid it isn't free - it is, however, undoubtedly the best disk utility around, it will find and correct errors on disks that are otherwise unusable. You can also run it occasionally to help prevent disk issues.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...