Friday 24 January 2020

windows - Make an M-Audio ProFire 610 show up as a 5.1 device

I'm trying to get Windows XP to recognize my ProFire 610 as a 5.1 device, but I'm not having much luck. Some individual applications will treat it as 5.1 (for instance, WinAmp), but the system as a whole thinks it's only stereo.


Short of calling M-Audio tech support, I've looked everywhere to see if I can do this. I've even tried using Jack and a trial of Virtual Audio Cable with an M-Audio FireWire 410 that I had on loan before getting the 610. I couldn't get either Jack or VAC configured properly.


Using WinAmp isn't a problem, but I also have a small app that reads a proprietary audio file, and outputs that as a 5.1 stream to the default sound card using OpenAL. OpenAL doesn't seem to throw up any errors, but the sound still comes through in stereo.


Is what I'm asking even possible? If so, any help would be appreciated.


EDIT:


I must not have been clear enough when I first posed the question. I'm using 5.1 files. My proprietary files are 5.1, and I generate 5.1 wav files from those proprietary files to play back in WinAmp. No special codecs that need licenses or anything like that. WinAmp sees that the wav files are 5.1, and I tell it to use the 610, and it happily outputs in 5.1. I do the same thing for my app that reads the proprietary files directly, it doesn't complain about not having 5.1, but still only outputs in stereo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...