Thursday 23 January 2020

usb - Huawei E170 doesn't work with Windows 7


I've got a "Huawei E170" (HSDPA broadband modem USB stick) with a driver CD for Windows XP & Vista, but now I got a netbook with Windows 7, and the driver installer won't run.


I've called the telecom, but they just offered to sell me a new stick :-(


Is there really no Win7 driver available for the E170 stick? Or can I trick it into installing anyway?



Answer



I found the solution myself :-)


The problem was that the installer said it doesn't run on Windows 7; it requires Windows XP or Vista. The solution is to use Windows 7's compatibility mode to make the installer believe it is running on WinXP!


Instead of double-clicking the installer, I right-clicked, selected Properties then Compatibility, then ticked the box to run as Windows XP and also ticked the box to run as administrator, then OK and double-click the installer like normal.


Then the installer completes just fine, and after a reboot and some waiting, the modem is detected and actually works! I know for sure because I've turned off WLAN and I'm reporting this via the HSPDA connection.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...