Saturday 25 January 2020

windows 8 - Close lid option "Do nothing" absent


I just unpacked my new Sony Vaio, with windows 8 pro installed. Everything is nice, so I tried setting my power management options. The "When I close the lid" option only list:



  • Hibernate

  • Sleep

  • Shutdown


The "Do nothing" option is not present.


I've seen loads of stuff on google where people ask or explain how to set this option to "Do nothing", but in all my power plans this option is absent...


Can I use a tool to prevent this, or is there a way to force windows to show me this option (and that it actually works)?


UPDATE powercf /q guid gives me this output:


Subgroup GUID: 4f971e89-eebd-4455-a8de-9e59040e7347  (Power buttons and lid)
GUID Alias: SUB_BUTTONS
Power Setting GUID: 5ca83367-6e45-459f-a27b-476b1d01c936 (Lid close action)
GUID Alias: LIDACTION
Possible Setting Index: 000
Possible Setting Friendly Name: Sleep
Possible Setting Index: 001
Possible Setting Friendly Name: Hibernate
Possible Setting Index: 002
Possible Setting Friendly Name: Shut down
Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x00000000
Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000000

Other sections have different enumerations where 000 stands for No action



Answer



I just talked with Sony support and was told this for my particular model SVF14A15CXB. The air vent is situated such that closing the lid will interfere with the air flow. For that reason the option of closing the lid and doing nothing (leaving the machine on) is not an option. It was not left out by mistake. It was deliberate to avoid the machine overheating.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...