Monday 27 January 2020

linux - Should I kill zombie process in my system?


Since I'm newbie in Linux/Unix systems and just read about zombie processes, I have one question. I have 10 of them right now. Do I need to kill them and if yes, why? Are they a load on my system?


592 processes: 581 sleeping, 1 running, 10 zombie, 0 stopped

Answer



You cannot kill a zombie, it is already dead.


The resources of that process are free and available to other processes. What remains is an entry in the process table. This does not have an influence on the performance, don't worry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...