Saturday 25 January 2020

Troubleshooting a failed hard-drive that halts BIOS

A co-worker handed me a failed Barracuda 7200 RPM 160 GB drive and asked if there was anything I could do with the drive to recover some files. There seems to be a mechanical failure as the drive attempts to spin up on boot and only occasionally does so. Even if it does start to spin, however, my system hangs at the bios splash screen if the drive is connected. The motherboard in my system is a msi 870A-g54.


I'm not at all optimistic about data recovery, but I want to give it my best effort. I'm wondering if my system's refusal to move past the BIOS splash screen is (a) expected behavior or particular to my setup and (b) can be circumvented. In the case of (b), I'm not willing to sacrifice my system for this hard drive, so if the halt-on-bios behavior is meant as a safeguard, I'd be interested in knowing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...