Wednesday 29 January 2020

Will system restore "restore" a wubi root.disk?


I have Windows XP on C:, and installed Wubi Ubuntu 10.10 on D:\ubuntu.


I encountered a power interruption while using XP. When the power got back, I booted into Ubuntu, detected the Windows wasn't properly shutdown, fixed it, and went on to boot Ubuntu just fine.


Then the next day, I wasn't able to boot into ubuntu. Did chkdsk on D: since a folder I was trying to copy files into (when the power went out) got corrupted.


XP is fine, but Ubuntu still won't boot. After trying lots of solutions that didn't work, I just found out that the whole /ubuntu/disks/ folder is gone.


So, before doing system restore, will it restore my root.disk? Thank you.



Answer



Windows XP System Restore monitors only a list of file extensions defined in %SystemRoot%\system32\Restore\filelist.xml, and DISK is not in it.


If you find a way to run explorer /separate as the "SYSTEM" user, you can browse C:\System Volume Information for files of the same size as your root.disk, but it's unlikely to be there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...