Saturday 14 December 2019

windows 7 - How to route traffic to one specific NIC when two are installed


I have a PC with 2 NICs installed and I want to utilize both, in my office table there's a 2 port patch panel.


1 port is for internet, and the other for internal access.


When both my NICs are active, it seems that I cannot access both network simultaneously (internal & internet).


My PC is in the state of confusion as to what traffic goes to a certain NIC only, by that I mean if I search the internet it should use the nic internet port if I access internal network it must use the office NIC port.


Is there a way I can command in windows to do routing of packets?



Answer



Windows does not support multi-homed networks when the networks are disjointed. See this kb for more details.


If your 10.0.0.0/24 network has all of the devices inside the same subnet all you need to do is not set a default gateway for that nic and everything should work. If you do need to set a default gateway on your 10.0.0.0/24 network, you can't do it, windows does not support multiple gateways.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...