Thursday 12 December 2019

How can I configure the right-click menu in Windows 7?


How can I remove/add custom items/shortcuts to the context menu (right-click menu) by modifying the Windows registry? I am not looking for a graphical tool like those listed in Edit right-click context menus in Windows 7, I want to do it myself by changing the registry keys manually.


example context menu


So:



  • How can I do this?

  • Where I can find the values that Registry use to make this menu?

  • How can I restore the default values if something went wrong?



Answer



The registry entries you should specifically look at are:


HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell (for specific file types)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers (also for specific file types)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFileSystemObjects\ShellEx (for all context menus)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell (for folders)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers (also for folders)

Remember to always backup your registry before editing it by going to File > Export... in the regedit.exe application.


Or if you prefer to do it using an application (which apparently you don't but I'll put it in here anyway):


You can use ShellExView and ShellMenuView to see a list of all current (and past, as long as the entries have not been removed) context menu items and disable or enable them from there.


Source: How-To Geek


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...