Sunday 1 December 2019

Can't rename a file in Windows 7


When I try to delete a file in a folder which was created way before I had Windows 7 it says:



You need permission to perform this action.


You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to this file.



But I AM the administrator. My account belongs to Administrators group. What the hell?


On a similar note, all the programs that don't have a GUI and are shell extensions can't create or modify files anywhere and Windows will never ask for my permission, so they basically won't work. How do I fix it?


The biggest question: why do I need to "run as administrator" when I am administrator already?



Answer



Have you tried to take ownership of the folders? Right-click > Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner and Take ownership as yourself (not administrator).


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...