Tuesday 17 December 2019

Can I use a power adapter with more current but lower voltage on another laptop?


Possible Duplicate:
Laptop power supplies, does current matter?



I have the opposite problem outlined in Laptop power supplies, does current matter?


My AC adapter (19 V, 3.95 A, 75 W, 3-pin) Part No. PA3468E-1AC3 for Toshiba Laptop L40 18Z is now useless. I am currently risking using an IBM Thinkpad adaptor (my old laptop) after checking the specification. The centre pin polarity is the same, I cannot currently find any references to Wattage output for the IBM adaptor - but the only difference I can find is in current and voltage.


The defunct Toshiba adapter is rated 19 V and 3.95 A. The IBM adapter is rated 16 V and 4.5 A.


I've used the IBM for several hours with no ill effect - risky I know! The lower voltage means that the battery isn't charging - but my concern is the higher current - 0.55 more.


Could this damage the sensitive internal electrics in the longer term - or is it unlikely to make a difference. If it works, which it does - could I confidently continue to use this until I've sourced a proper replacement?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...