Wednesday 13 November 2019

networking - Bridging Wifi to Ethernet on Ubuntu not working

When running Windows I was able to bridge my wifi connect through my laptops Ethernet connection so a range of ethernet only devices could piggy back off my wifi (Raspberry Pi, Xbox etc etc). I am now trying to do the same within Ubuntu, i.e the set up would be:


Wireless Router ---> Wifi on laptop ---> bridge to Ethernet ---> Device that needs internet plugged into Ethernet port


Now I have been trying to get this working in Ubuntu using brctl


I used the below command:


sudo brctl addif br0 eth0 wlan0

And get the following error:


can't add wlan0 to bridge br0: Operation not supported

I am hoping someone can help as I refuse to believe something I can do in windows very easily can't be done in Linux.


If you need any more info do let me know. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...