Saturday 30 November 2019

windows 10 - Safe sharing home network, single user Microsoft account without Homegroup

I have a home office with a workstation, and I just added another workstation and a laptop. All use windows10 professional and I use the same Microsoft account to login on all machines. I'm trying to set up a shared folder on each machine to replace the Homegroup.


Network Error

Windows cannot access \\ws1\shared

You do not have permission to access \\ws1\shared.
Contact your network administrator to request access.

I can't get the sharing to work no matter what I allow on the share permissions or on the folder security.


Windows10 just removed homegroup, a feature I was just beginning to get some use out of.


I've set up a domain in the past, in an office setting. But I'd like to keep this simple and avoid using a domain controller.


I also want to avoid sharing on the "public network" as the laptop might be taken to other locations and other devices exist in my home.


Edit:


Just found out that sharing any folder outside of the user folder is working. No adjusting of permissions seems to work though for in the user folder

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...