Wednesday 13 November 2019

How to open many tabs for many files in vim?



I can open one file in a new tab with:


:tabnew file

Let's say I have many files, for example: util.h and util.cpp.


How I can open those files all in separate, new tabs?


I'm looking for something similar to


:tabnew util.*

Answer



First, add the files as arguments:


:argadd util.*

Then use the :argdo command with :tabnew:


:argdo tabnew

You could do this with :bufadd and :bufdo but none of the buffer commands can add multiple files at the same time. Also, using the :argadd method may avoid opening tabs for files you already have open—it depends on whether you invoked Vim with multiple file arguments, or whether you have already been using the :arg* commands. (You could always do :argdel * first.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...