Saturday 23 November 2019

ssh - How to change the number of columns on a putty window to more than the screen width?


I am on windows and often have to ssh to linux machines. Though as much as I would love to have an alternate ssh client, none really comes part to Putty. One thing or the other always breaks, even in putty the numpad becomes unusable. Anyway, I want to set the putty's window's width to more than my screen allows. So I can scroll horizontally to view it. The reason being that I run select * commands and those long records occupy many lines each affecting readability. Thanks!



Answer



PuTTY doesn't support that. What you can do is pipe your output through less with the -S option, which tells it not to wrap long lines, and use the left and right arrow keys to scroll sideways:


your_command | less -S

(Note that that will only work if the command is invoked from a shell, but not from within an SQL client or some such.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...