Monday 25 November 2019

Can I see what happens behind the Windows (Dell, in that case) boot logo?

Since something(TM) happened with my laptop (Dell Latitude E6440) yesterday (I suspect a Windows Update, but who knows), my Windows 10 Pro installation (17134.1, if that matters) does not boot any longer. Basically, during bootup I saw only a Dell logo indefinitely, with nothing else happening beside some initial hard disk activity.


First, I suspected the Windows Boot Manager was broken. So I have recreated the EFI partition and configured bcdedit to always show the boot menu. Now, the Dell logo disappears at one point and I can see the boot menu entries etc. I configured just fine. So I believe I can see everything around the boot manager itself is working.


However, when I select my "Windows 10 Pro" in the boot menu and press enter, the Dell logo appears again, effectively hiding everything that may be happening. The disk is active for a second or two, until the system stops as before. I have activated bootlog for this boot menu entry, and I have also tried using the F8 menu to activate logging - but %WINDIR%\Ntbtlog.txt is simply not written. So the Windows boot process seems to stop before it ever reaches this point


Can I debug what happens behind the Dell logo? Can I turn it off somehow?


I also remember that earlier Windows version has a step-by-step (driver-by-driver) mode, where you have to confirm every single step of the boot process. Is this still around?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...