Sunday 24 November 2019

linux - use installed system as virtual system on virtualbox




Possible Duplicate:
Create Virtualbox image of a physical partition



I have two operating system installed on my PC (dual boot), I use both a lot and sometimes I restart my PC two times to do some work.


Is it possible to run one of them in VirtualBox as it stands, so that I don't have to restart if some work has to be done on the other non-running operating system?


thanks in advance .



Answer



Yes, it is possible. But the system on virtualbox will have worst performance, and limited resources.


Not to mention that both operative systems will take resources at the same time


EDIT: As i commented: Here is how to convert a partition to a virtual hard disk image.


Now, as you said, there is a separated /boot partition.


Can you reinstall GRUB? Relocating /boot to the new drive? If you can, then is the easiest solution. (I don't know how to do it, but is the easiest, because it only takes a couple commands, a google search may help you, as it may vary from distro to distro)


If you don't know, then you need to also make the old /boot avaliable.


If you also convert the old /boot into a virtual disk image, then you just need to set it in virtualbox settings.


Once ready, you need to boot the virtual machine (that you created) with a live CD.


Mount your "/" and go to the file "/etc/fstab" with your favourite editor.


You should know that the fstab files, says where are partitions mounted, so tell it to mount your boot partition on /boot.(You learn how to do it here, if you don't know what is your /boot disk, write "df" in the shell, and you should recognise it.)


Sorry if i didn't explained enough, but english is not my mother language. I tried the best i could.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...