Friday 15 November 2019

networking - Windows 7 shows red "X" on network icon, but I'm connected


In Windows 7, after a few weeks of running Hamachi VPN, the internet icon in the system tray shows a red "X", indicating I have no network connection:


enter image description here


This is false, as I am not only connected to two networks, I'm also connected to the internet (as shown below), therefore, the icon should show no errors.


enter image description here


I've researched the LogMeIn Hamachi help forums and several other related forums and no one seems to have posted a working solution.


What I've Tried So Far:




  • I have uninstalled Hamachi




  • I reset the local LAN adapter.




  • I have changed the order of listed connections in Network Connections > Advanced > Adapters & Bindings




  • I have disabled IPv6 on both networks, and one at a time




  • I deleted the "Incoming Connection" I had for my Windows 7 VPN in Network Adapters




I've run my research resources dry and I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?



Answer



At first, I thought this didn't work, so I moved on, but it turns out I didn't allow enough time for it to work:


I followed the instructions in the high rated answer in this thread.





  1. Click Start, [click Run], type regedit, and then press ENTER.




  2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network




  3. Right-click this subkey, click Export , and then save the selected branch in a file.




  4. Click the Network subkey again, and then delete the Config entry. Do not delete the >Network subkey. The Config entry will be reconstructed when you restart the computer.




  5. Restart the computer. You may have to manually turn off the computer.




  6. The config key is re-created on the next boot up.





The final step (6) takes a few minutes to complete. During that time, I unplugged my network cable and replugged to initate the internet connection and the key rebuild.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...