Thursday 21 November 2019

linux - Perl not found?


I try to run a pl script in the console. It shows me this error:


bash: ./vmware-install.pl /usr/bin/perl: bad interpreter: no such file or directory. 

What does it mean?



whereis perl



returns just



perl:



And which perl returs: no perl in .... (bunch of folders)


I have Fedora 18



Answer



I'd suspect Perl is not where it should be.


The way to check is with which perl. If this dosen't give you a location, perl is not in your path (for extra credit, try whereis perl if which perl works).


If perl isn't in your path, you'll get perl: not cool. Time to ransack the system.


We can use locate to find anything called, or containing perl. You're probably looking for a binary. So we can try locate perl|grep bin - this should find any file called curl, and return any path which contains bin in it. In theory, you can find the full path here, and run /path/to/perl vmware-install.pl and it should work. I'd also consider the fact you may end up needing to do this as root, if its the script I think it is.


If perl is still not there, I'd ponder the unspeakable horrors your OS must have faced, since perl is generally installed by default.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...