Saturday 2 November 2019

Linux - Can I Duplicate, send, then and Deduplicate UDP packets?


I am transmitting UDP data across 2 Linux (Intel) based routers, and I am experiencing low levels of packet loss which are interfering with the application.


Is there a way (ideally, but not necessarily involving iptables) I can receive each UDP packet and send 2 copies of it, discarding the second one to arrive (if both packets arrive) ? I am aware that this will use double the bandwidth and I'm OK with that.



Answer



I know this is an older thread, but you might want to look into FEC.


Check our the "UDPspeeder" application written by wangyu. You can find it here on git: https://github.com/wangyu-/UDPspeeder


This application doesn't just duplicate the packet, but sends packets with information about being able to reconstruct the packet that is lost if needed.


There are lots of parameters to tune for your needs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...