Wednesday 20 November 2019

linux - Bare-metal virtualisation for the desktop

What knowledge exists about bare-metal virtualisation products?


I'm interested in building a new desktop machine for home. I've been looking at the Intel Quad Core processors and I'd like to put 8 GB of RAM in there, but, it got me thinking about making the most out of the available resources.


I thought if I could get a good 64-bit machine, put some bare-metal virtualisation on, then have a primary system, I'd also be able to bring up some extra virtualised systems as and when I needed. I know most of the bare metal systems are designed for the server market, but, is there anything out there that works well for a desktop?


What are the caveats? I presume I won't be able to make the most out of any video cards I could buy. What about just getting a decent screen resolution, will this be a problem? I run a single 24" screen.


What about DVD/CD writing, is this possible? I'd like to re-rip my CD collection, I was hoping the quad 64-bit goodness would help me out with the encoding.


I currently use a Mac and couldn't go back to Windows so that leaves Linux. I was thinking a primary OS of Ubuntu. Does this make a difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...