Tuesday 12 November 2019

how to disable tap-on-click (touchpad) on windows


I don't find the settings. I went to the mouse settings, but there aren't any touch-pad related settings. It shows up as a PS2 mouse.


The device manager doesn't show up any further devices so I'm not sure how to install further device drivers. I also don't really know the exact hardware in my PC nor how to find that out.


My question is mostly how to find out myself what to do. I guess I need to install something. Why doesn't it do that automatically?


I tried already Synaptics because that seems like a quite common driver, however, the setup failed with some error, so I guess it is the wrong driver - but again, I'm not sure how to figure that out.


On Linux, I would probably do something like lspci or lsusb - but not sure what I have to do on Windows.



Answer



In short, there is not a native Windows command that does the same as lspci or lsusb.


Your alternative on windows is msinfo32 and extracting the vendor and product ID, highlighted below, from the Plug and Play device field:


enter image description here


You can then use these to lookup what the device is online, this is what Windows does itself.


A search for the highlighted device ID above tells me its a Cherry CyMotion / eVolution Series Keyboard.




If a device looks like the following in msinfo32:


enter image description here


Then the device manufacturer did not apply for a registered Vendor ID thus not allowing Windows, or yourself to deduct what the device might be and Windows has reverted to a default driver.


This is why manufactures, such as ASUS, have a website dedicated to looking up drivers for the built in devices based on the Laptops serial number.


You can read more on the Plug & Play Architecture and Driver support here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...