Saturday 2 November 2019

How do I repair my Logitech Anywhere MX?


My Anywhere Mouse has got mushy mouse button syndrome. That is, the left mouse button feels a little bit soft, and it easily double clicks, let's go when I drag something.


Before I repair it at home, rather than bringing it to the store (I kind of need it, it's the only one I have), I'd like to know exactly what I'm doing. It'd be too bad if I tried to repair it, voided the warranty and didn't succeed.


I'm guessing there are screws to open it under the rubber pads. And I suppose I can take those off without breaking them, and put them back on without bending them.




  • How is this mouse held together, and what's the safest way to open it?




  • Once I have it open, will I be able to fix the problem? What's causing the mushy mouse button?




Here's what I know so far:



  • It might be the switch itself that's broken, in which case I shouldn't open it (I can't get a replacement, voiding the warranty to "have a look" seems pointless)


  • If there are screws underneath the rubber pads, they're only on the 'front', the back two thirds of the mouse are all battery cover:


    enter image description here


    There's nothing I can see under the batteries either.




  • In the mouse I had before this one, there were sort of springy things connecting the actual button with the switch soldered to the board. They were just lying inside of a bit of plastic, and I could swap the left and right ones easily. If repairing it is more difficult, transferring the problem to the right mouse button would be a very good start.





Answer



Thanks, Kristian, for the tip about the battery stickers. (I suspected, but was not sure)


This is the second Logitech mouse I've had the same problem with. The microswitch is not defect, because if I dismantle the top and actually press the microswitch with my fingers it works fine.


The problem is with the underside of the button where it meets the microswitch. This plastic is softer than the microswitch and with time the microswitch grinds a groove into the button, which is when the problems start, as the switch is then not completely pressed. I glue a very thin, hard foil over this groove and the problem goes away.


I guess it's too late for the original post, but I hope this helps other people searching for a solution to the same problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...