Thursday 14 November 2019

hard drive - System backup too large for hdd

I made a system backup using One Key Recovery (OKR) for my lenovo ideapad, storing it on an external hdd. When I went to recover the backup using OKR it stated the hard drive doesn't have enough space to transfer it back from the external hdd. I literally made this backup of this very drive a day ago.


Short of plugging in a larger drive and retrying, what can I do?


The image size is about 680gb via properties. My hard drive is 1tb with 890 gb listed as the max available. I'm guessing when it unpacks it, its creating a filesize larger than the original size and larger than the 890gb? Or it thinks it is/might?


Can I go into the backup and remove files to make it smaller? Even emptying my recycle bin would free up alot of space. Can I launch my pc from the external hard drive? What can I do here? I don't have any working knowledge of this recovery stuff, so I'm at a total loss. But I would imagine just removing a couple GB to up to 50 gb would be enough to fix the issue (i can think of specific files that could be removed to freeup this space).


When I made the backup I only had anywhere from 10-25gb of free space on my hdd. I wasn't aware this could be an issue for backups, obviously it is and it won't happen again, but I need a fix and I have no idea what I can do to get the backup to work. I still have hundreds of Gb in space on my external hdd, if that matters.


the backup is a .wsi file


I'm using windows 8.1


disk management image

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...