Thursday 21 November 2019

browser - Adding programs to WinPE


I'm trying to figure out a way to add an application into WinPE so that I can run it from the command line (specifically, Firefox though I will probably have to add IE as well). I've read through this tutorial, but it seems to be concerned with adding applications that the user has created as opposed to a third party. Am I missing something? Can I simply copy C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox to a folder in the mounted WinPE image?



Answer



I have been working away on doing this at my company and it is actually really easy to run a browser in WinPE. All you need to do is download a portable browser (Chrome, Firefox etc... IE is the only one that is not able to be portable).


So search online for "Chrome portable" or "Firefox portable" and download that. Then move the portable browser into the WinPE image (I put it in %systemdrive%\windows\system32\).


Once you are at the command prompt in WinPE you can just type the name of the executable and it will run the portable browser.




An example of this is: I want to run Google Chrome in WinPE, I downloaded the portable Chrome browser and moved the folder and files into the WinPE image under the system32 folder. I boot in WinPE and at command prompt I type:


x:\windows\system32\googlechromeportable\googlechromeportable.exe

Now you have a web browser in WinPE. You may have to change your directories to point to wherever you injected the browser into the image, but you get the point. After doing that, you can also create a batch file to run this at WinPE startup but thats another topic.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...