Tuesday 23 July 2019

linux - bash autocomplete fails with wildcard


Using bash on this this system:


Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u4 (2016-02-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux


The sequence:


cd /tmp
touch test1.txt && touch test2.txt && touch test3.txt
ls test [tab][tab]

Shows:


test1.txt test2.txt test3.txt

below the command line.


That is how I expect bash autocomplete to behave.


But when I type:


ls test* [tab][tab]

(expecting the same result) I only get (I.e. autocomplete exclusively expands to):


test1.txt

So the asterisk (*) wildcard at the end makes test[23].txt 'unreachable'. I'm pretty sure the two sequences used to give the same results in previous versions of bash -- at least on my computer.


Does anyone else have this problem? Is it a default setting (e.g. in Debian 8) that can be changed? (I tried to set and unset different shell parameters with shopt but to no avail).



Answer



Well the solution that works for me is this: in ~/.bashrc I had the lines


# enable programmable completion features (you don't need to enable
# this, if it's already enabled in /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/profile
# sources /etc/bash.bashrc).
if ! shopt -oq posix; then
if [[ -f /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion ]]; then
. /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion
elif [[ -f /etc/bash_completion ]]; then
. /etc/bash_completion
fi
fi

That is the block I thought takes care of the autocompletion. After commenting it out and starting a new shell though, not only does it work but it has gone back to the way I am used to!


Still not sure what the if-clause means but I won't try to fix it while it works..


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...