Wednesday 24 July 2019

windows 7 - How do I add permissions via command line for "everyone" on external HDD


I have an external HDD and I kind of messed up the file permissions but when fixing it I thought it is ok bc with my username I can access the files perfectly fine. Now that I use this with two PC (actually ATM I don't have access to my other PC) I can't access these files.


The problem is this directory has hundreds of folders with no permission for "everyone". I would like to give it the default permissions including have all access for the user "everyone". How do I do that via command line for these hundreds of folders?



Answer



Use takeown to take ownership of the file


takeown /r /d y /f * 

^ Recursively takes ownership of all files without prompting "are you sure".


Follow it up with icacls set the access control list


icacls * /t  /grant Everyone:F

This will recursively grant Full access to user group "Everyone" to all files in the folder.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...